Earth Day is an annual event celebrated on April 22. Worldwide, various events are held to demonstrate support for environmental protection.
For 2018, the Earth Day theme is “End Plastic Pollution“.
Earth Day Facts:
1) First celebrated in 1970, Earth Day events in more than 193 countries are now coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network.
2) Earth Day originated in the US but became recognized worldwide by 1990.
3) Senator Gaylord Nelson founded Earth Day in the United States. In recognition of his hard work, he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom Award.
4) Every year on April 22, men, women, and children collect garbage, plant trees, clean up coral reefs, show movies, sign petitions, and plan for a better future for our planet.
5) Although it is celebrated millions across the United States, Earth Day is not an official national holiday.
6) Earth Day was renamed officially by the UN in 2009 as International Mother Earth Day.
7) In 2013, Indian poet and diplomat Abhay Kumar wrote a piece called the “Earth Anthem,” to honor the planet and all of its inhabitants.
8) The first Earth Day celebration in the U.S. resulted in 20 million Americans participating in peaceful demonstrations to show their support for environmental reform.
9) With the first Earth Day celebration In 1969 the IUCN (International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources) declared a definition of national park.
10) Numerous communities celebrate Earth Week, an entire week of activities focused on the environmental issues that the world faces.
1) Save earth to save your future generations.
2) Decorate the earth with clean and green to secure it.
3) Save the earth to save the hope of life in future.
4) Earth is our home and we are living in very dirty home. Join together to make it clean and safe.
5) Save earth to save happiness of billions of lives.
6) Come On! It’s time to change bad habits to some positive ones to save the earth.
7) Green revolution is the best way to secure our earth for future.
8) Stop polluting the earth and follow reduce reuse recycle regime.
9) Green Earth, Clean Earth
10) Save our Planet, Save Ourselves.
11) Keep your surroundings clean to make the earth green.
12) Save Earth from Humans.
13) When you save the earth, it saves you back.
14) Our earth is a blessing from God.
15) Save earth, it will save you in return.
16) You must keep the earth green, not gray.
17) I am an earth lover. What about you?
18) Home is built by hearts; earth was built for homes.
19) Make Every day Earth Day.
20) For our kids keep saving the earth.
21) Earth is our home and we are living in very dirty home, join together to make it clean and safe.
22) Earth Day Is The World’s Birthday!
23) Protect our earth today for our children’s’ tomorrow.
Earth Day Poems:
I Am Of The Earth
I am of the earth
She is my mother
She bore me with pride
She reared me with love
She cradled me each evening
She pushed the wind to make it sing
She built me a house of harmonious colors
She fed me the fruits of her fields
She rewarded me with memories of her smiles
She punished me with the passing of time
And at last when I long to leave
She will embrace me for eternity.
– By Anna Lee Walters.
When Earth’s Last Picture Is Painted
When Earth’s last picture is painted
And the tubes are twisted and dried
When the oldest colors have faded
And the youngest critic has died
We shall rest, and faith, we shall need it
Lie down for an aeon or two
‘Till the Master of all good workmen
Shall put us to work anew
And those that were good shall be happy
They’ll sit in a golden chair
They’ll splash at a ten league canvas
With brushes of comet’s hair
They’ll find real saints to draw from
Magdalene, Peter, and Paul
They’ll work for an age at a sitting
And never be tired at all.
And only the Master shall praise us.
And only the Master shall blame.
And no one will work for the money.
No one will work for the fame.
But each for the joy of the working,
And each, in his separate star,
Will draw the thing as he sees it.
For the God of things as they are!
– By Rudyard Kipling.
Pray to What Earth
Pray to what earth does this sweet cold belong,
Which asks no duties and no conscience?
The moon goes up by leaps, her cheerful path
In some far summer stratum of the sky,
While stars with their cold shine bedot her way.
The fields gleam mildly back upon the sky,
And far and near upon the leafless shrubs
The snow dust still emits a silver light.
Under the hedge, where drift banks are their screen,
The titmice now pursue their downy dreams,
As often in the sweltering summer nights
The bee doth drop asleep in the flower cup,
When evening overtakes him with his load.
By the brooksides, in the still, genial night,
The more adventurous wanderer may hear
The crystals shoot and form, and winter slow
Increase his rule by gentlest summer means.
– By Henry David Thoreau.
Earth raised up her head
From the darkness dread and drear,
Her light fled,
And her locks covered with grey despair.
‘Prisoned on watery shore,
Starry jealousy does keep my den
Cold and hoar;
I hear the father of the ancient men.
‘Selfish father of men!
Cruel, jealous, selfish fear!
Chained in night,
The virgins of youth and morning bear.
‘Does spring hide its joy,
When buds and blossoms grow?
Does the sower
Sow by night,
Or the ploughman in darkness plough?
‘Break this heavy chain,
That does freeze my bones around!
That free love with bondage bound.’
– By William Blake.
Earth day Quotes:
The earth is what we all have in common. – Wendell Berry
There are no passengers on Spaceship Earth. We are all crew. – Marshall McLuhan
The environment is where we all meet; where all have a mutual interest; it is the one thing all of us share. – Lady Bird Johnson
Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influence of each. – Henry David Thoreau
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. – Albert Einstein
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s need, but not every man’s greed. – Gandhi
Earth laughs in flowers. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Man is still the greatest miracle and the greatest problem on this earth. – David Sarnoff
The earth has music for those who listen. – William Shakespeare
Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair. – Khalil Gibran
On Earth there is no heaven, but there are pieces of it. – Jules Renard
Save the Earth, it’s our only source of chocolate. – Anonymous
Earth Day Videos:
Watch earth day related videos here